Pastor of Discipleship Job Opportunity
Pastoral Job Opportunity
Associate Pastor/Director of Discipleship
Catalina Foothills Church
Catalina Foothills is seeking an experienced man to lead our discipleship outreach. If your vision is to build a vibrant congregation who takes their life in Christ seriously and actively interacts with their world for the sake of Jesus Christ, consider the role of Discipleship Pastor/Director. If you are an independent, relational leader, who envisions 1000 students and adults growing in maturity and penetrating their offices, neighborhoods, families and community with the reality of Jesus Christ, this position is definitely worth digging into its dreams. This is a prime opportunity for someone who wants the challenge—and fun—of transforming a ministry, church, city, and world for Christ through an essential discipleship process. Help a congregation make a legacy through their spiritual discipleship and maturity.
Send resume with cover letter to the Executive Pastor of Catalina Foothills Church, Paul Utnage, to apply for this opportunity at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Pastor of Discipleship at Catalina Foothills Church (PCA) is a key champion of the vision to be a disciple to make a disciple. As such, he provides strong, crucial leadership for all equipping opportunities. He organizes and implements the vision, strategies, and goals of the discipleship ministry. He provides general management of day-to-day ministries including discipleship, small groups, training classes, and workshops so that people grow maturely in a way that erupts in missional living. With a comprehensive understanding of the church’s vision, he is a strong leader in the pastoral staff since he oversees a key aspect of the church’s vision and strategy. As such, he helps to shape a culture of spiritual development so that people are inspired to the next level of missional living.
1. He desires that people experience Christ’s Kingdom and discover the transformation that only Christ can bring to workplaces, families, neighborhoods, and the city.
2. He desires that nonchristians in the community are consistently reached for Christ through the ministry of CFC individuals who have grown to an extent that they naturally share the gospel.
3. He desires that people are grounded in Scripture and are thus being transformed by Jesus, with the goal of mature living like Christ in their community.
4. He desires organizational clarity, communication, and effectiveness in mobilizing the congregation for ministry and growth.
5. He desires to develop healthy leadership culture, decision-making, and relations.
1. To teach in strategic settings so that he models and inspires relevant biblical teaching and application.
2. Provide on-going vision-casting for discipling the congregation, beginning by modeling spiritual maturity in his own life and moving towards the training and discipleship of others.
3. Develop a comprehensive—yet simple—equipping/discipleship plan for our on-campus and off-campus classes, workshops, small groups, coaching, and men’s/women’s gatherings.
4. Include evangelism and apologetics training in the plan for the whole congregation.
5. Recruit and guide a lay leadership team who will implement the discipleship plan, meeting with these volunteer leaders on a regular basis for training.
6. Evaluate and maintain an annual Bible-reading plan for the whole congregation.
7. In the spirit of stewardship, develop and maintain fiscal accountability and spending within approved budgeted parameters and monitor spending at least monthly.
8. Coordinate the overall CFC strategy with other leaders so that CFC is part of a larger focus on evangelizing the city.
C. Pastoral Care
1. Evaluate and manage all-church fellowship opportunities as they connect people to other ministries, especially to discipleship and missional opportunities.
2. Participate with hospital visitation and pastoral care (along with all other pastors and directors who take turns with this ministry).
3. Participate in various leadership meetings that incorporate the input and expertise of the Pastor/Director of Discipleship Ministries.
4. Shepherd individuals in the church as part of the overall shepherding plan.
5. Foster high levels of cooperation and effectively work in a team environment(s) with quality relationships and respect of each member’s giftedness and unique abilities.
6. Create and protect the desired culture of the church and leadership.
7. Other duties as assigned.
D. Broader Ministry Impact
1. Stay abreast of PCA denominational obligations and opportunities to stretch the vision of the PCA and Presbytery of the Southwest.
2. Pursue personal involvement in leadership development and coaching beyond the “four walls” of the church—both locally and internationally—as the Lord provides.
3. Pursue missional involvement, including participation in key missions opportunities, on a personal basis as the Lord provides.
• Mature Christian adhering to the Bible and the Reformed, evangelical faith.
• Joyful, flexible, adventurous, and trustworthy.
• Provides a healthy example in faith and conduct in relationships
• Loves to learn; a self-starter who can set and achieve goals.
• Empathetic, intuitive decision-making.
• Skills in organization, multi-tasking, problem solving, task orientation (i.e. results-driven), and empowerment, combined with relational ability.
• Ability to work with a teachable heart, good attitude, flexibility and unity.
• Proven experience in team-building, creative thinking, systems management, and problem solving.
• A Christ-like character, heart for ministry, and servant mindset.
• Spiritual gifts of teaching and leadership.
• A master’s level degree in ministry, education, or related field is preferred.
• The capacity to be ordained in Presbyterian Church in America is preferred.
Catalina Foothills Church is an evangelical church associated with the PCA denomination in Tucson, Arizona. The church has moved into a new season of its history in which we are focused upon discipleship as the essential center of their vision. We’re all about making a legacy and building disciples. Be a disciple to make a disciple. We are identifying four key missional areas of the world, as well. It’s a building season for us—building a new vision for the future. If you are wired to engage in the discipleship of people, this would be a great season for you. We have multiple staff members who are innovative, fast paced and easy going. Our office environment is flexible and supportive. We aim to be a relational team. In fact, we all enjoy activities together and fun team-building studies.
Tucson is a city of approximately 530,000, including college students at the University of Arizona. The county, in which the church sits, is approximately one million. The church is located in the foothills area of the city, nestled into the southern reaches of the Rocky Mountains. Though different than the mountains in Colorado and the northwest, the geographical area includes various terrain around the high desert. Temperatures obviously vary, but each season holds it own interests and involvements. As a city, Tucson is relaxed culture where many people come to play at times of the year—whether it’s biking, hiking, exploring, university activities, or just relaxing.